Making a Bag from my Hand Painted Fabric

I am so excited to share this post with you!  For the past week or so I have been playing around with painting my own fabric with different techniques.  If you would like to read a how to on a an easy Glue-Resist Technique  or a Wet-on-Wet painting technique, just click on the links.

Today, I will be showing you what I made with those fabrics.  So, here it is!!


I had so much fun making this bag.  It's final dimensions are ~ 9"x7.5".  I used the book Sew Wild by Alisa Burke.  I have been using this book to teach me how to do the painting techniques and to sew this bag.  I can't wait to find more books from her at the library!

Here is a quick run-through of the steps to make this bag.

Cut out your selected fabric into different shapes and sizes.  Place on an 8x10 piece of thin batting or fleece.

 When you finish it should look something like this.

Next, you need to pin down your fabric.

After your fabric is pinned, begin to use free-motion stitching to bind the batting to the fabric.  This is when you can be really creative and 'MESSY' as it's called.  This is the fun part, and great for those of you who like to color outside of the lines or have trouble sewing a straight line (like me!).


You don't have to add any lettering, but I decided to, as I was trying to make one just like in Alisa's book.  Just cut out some letters out of a brightly colored fabric that will go with your material.  I used a black sharpie to draw out my word (all in one piece), cut it out and then stitched it down with a zig zag stitch. 

Now for the lining.  I grabbed this fabric that you see on your right.  I made this a few days ago using a layering technique.  You paint with one color first, then blend with a second.  Once the paint dries, you add the 3rd and final color on top.  I think this is actually the backside of my fabric, as after washing, the backside of the painted fabric feels softer to the touch.  I thought it would be nicer for the inside of my bag.

Cut out 2, 8x10 pieces of your lining fabric.  Place the wrong sides of your patchwork piece and your lining together, pin and then sew together.  I used a zig-zag stitch around the edge, but next time I will free-motion stitch this as well.


At this point I decided that I DID want to put some messy stitching on the 'LOVE'.  I should have done this as I was stitching the word on the fabric, but I could not decide if I wanted it or not.  In the end, I think it looks better with the messy stitching.  What do you think??

For the zipper I first added small pieces of fabric to the ends of my zippers.  You don't have to do this, but I saw this technique in a book somewhere and it really does make your bag looked more finished when you are through.  I then placed the tops of my cover and back to the zipper using a zig zag stitch.  This was actually the hardest part of the entire bag.  I kept getting too close to the zipper with my zig zag.

Once your zipper is on, all you have to do is sew along both SIDES.  Then, unzip your zipper (if you do not do this you will not be able to turn your bag inside out).  Sew up the bottom and you are almost finished!

Lastly, sew a zig zag stitch around the sides and bottom to sew the seam allowances together.



Turn your bag inside out and you are finished!!



This is what the back looks like.


I'd love to hear what you think about this!  Are there any of you out there who love free motion stitching as much as I do??  I am just loving it, myself.  I can't wait to make more of these.  I think I have found my 'thing'!  That is why I started this blog a month ago!  The possibilities are endless with this idea.  I'm so glad it turned out, b/c now I have a good excuse to keep painting! :)

If this is your first time visiting Gina's Craft Corner, I'd love for you to follow me so you can keep up on all my new projects.  If you would like to follow me, you can via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Google Friends Connect on the sidebar.

Have a great day!


Blessings,
~Gina
I will be linked up at these great parties.  There are more party buttons at the very bottom of this page.

Monday
An Original Bell 
I Should be Mopping the Floors
Alderberry Hill
That DIY party 
Mad in Crafts
Uncommon Designs 
Titi Crafty
Sew Chatty 
Keeping it Simple 
Sew Can Do 
Craft-O-Maniac 
Flour Me With Love 

Tuesday
Kathe With an E  
Funky Polkadot Giraffe 
Sweet Tooth Tuesday 
Sugar Bee Crafts 
Adventures of a DIY Mom 
Nap-time Creations 
Our Delightful Home 
 Ladybug Blessings 
The Scoop 
Him and Her 
Lolly Jane 
A to Zebra Celebrations 
Brag About It 
Crafty Confessions 
Hope Studios 
Today's Creative Blog 
 Feather's Flight 



Wednesday
Adorned From Above
 JAQS Studio

Thursday
A Peek Into My Paradise

Friday
Happy Hour Friday 
Frugal Fit Family 
My Turn For Us
Weekend Wonders 
Craftberry Bush 
All Our Days 
Redfly Creations
504 Main
Craftionary 
Chic on a Shoestring 
Simply Sweet Home 
 Diana Rambles
Organized 31 

Saturday
Serenity You 
Six Sister's Stuff
 Be Different..Act Normal 






Comments

  1. That is super cool! I am a bot of a bag person and I love it! totally unique, Mel xo
    www.mellywoodsmansion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! So nice of you to take the time to drop a note!
      ~Gina

      Delete
  2. I've recently become addicted to make simple little zippered bags. I have no idea how you do free motion? but I'm gonna have to learn. Your bags is adorable! I'd love if you'd come and share at Inspire Us Thursday http://organized31.blogspot.com/2013/06/inspire-us-thursday-link-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Susan! Free motion stitching is just putting down the feed dogs, using a darning foot, or free motion foot and moving the fabric yourself to stitch. I'll have to do a write-up about it. It's so much fun! I WILL drop on over to your party! Thanks for the invite!
      Gina

      Delete
  3. This is a great bag and I love the fabric you made using glue batik! I love the free motion stitching; it goes perfectly with the graffiti look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana! It's good to have such positive feedback! Thanks for taking time to leave a comment. :)
      Blessings,
      ~Gina

      Delete
  4. Super cute and unique! Love the bright colors :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this bag is WAY cute! Perfect use of your adorably decorated squares!! :) Just joined your GFC!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your comment AND for the follow! I just can't wait to do more with these fabrics! They make me smile. ;)
      ~Gina

      Delete
  6. Fabulous bag you've made here Gina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! And thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  7. This is art for real, I love it! Roechelle @ http://www.hugatreewithme.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I LOVE..LOVE...LOVE...comments from you! It truly makes my day! So, leave a comment AND your webpage or social media link and I will get back with you. Thanks in advance!!
~Gina

Popular Posts