Glue Resist Technique on Fabric-How to...


 Hi!  Thank you so much for visiting my site today!  I am so excited about this post because it is another first for me.  I love painting, but I know nothing about painting.  My girls and I paint all the time with tempera paint, but I have never really experienced with Acrylics.  So, here is my first project with Acrylic Paint.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I've been reading a great book I checked out from the library called, SEW WILD by Alisa Burke.   This is one of the techniques she uses in the book.  It is SO easy and it's another great project to do with your little ones or those grandbabies. :)

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
*Plain white cotton broadcloth
*Acrylic Paint-any color (I used the cheapest I could find at the craft store)
*Paint brushes of any size
*Water Based Glue (I used the cheapest, Elmers)

STEP 1:  Gather your supplies.

Step 2: Begin to make any design you desire. 
Here I did some words...The Fruits of the Spirit and more.

Here I made some flowers and leaves.

Step 3: This is the hardest part.  You have to be patient!  I know!!  You must wait for the glue globs to dry before you can begin the fun part...PAINTING!  It can take a few hours or most of the afternoon.  But it will be worth the wait. :)

NOTE:  Be sure to pick up the material off of the paper while you let it dry and set somewhere else.  One of my daughters left hers on the newspaper and it stuck terribly.  I used the empty kiddie pool, but whatever works for you.  :)  

Step 4: Once it is completely dry, choose the paint of your choice and just paint it on.  Cover the entire surface and then let dry completely.  Yes, more patience required.  But this step does not take AS long.





Don't be discouraged if it looks like you cannot see your design.  It will work, trust me.

Step 5:  Once your paint is completely dry, it is time to set the color.  The bottle gave no instructions for me, so I just washed them with soap and water and then put them in the dryer to heat set.  After you wash it, the glue residue will be washed away and your design will show through more and look SO NEAT!

Step 6: Once out of the dryer I ironed it on the backside, to reduce the chance of paint on my iron.  I don't know if it would come off, but it made me nervous.

THE END RESULT....






 It's fun to come up with designs.  However, this one and the green one are free-motion quilting designs.  I've been reading a book called, Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters.  She has a lot of neat designs in this book.  Find a great book and get inspired!


My 6 year old did the pink one with the flower.  Isn't it cute?  She had a blast doing it, and so did my 4 year old.  The 4 year old's did not dry in time for the photo shoot, so  I'll add that one later.

The blue one with circles is not a Glue-Resist technique, but I did it at the same time and thought I'd just throw it in there.  That is a Wet-on-Wet technique.  I'll do a quick post on that one HERE.

WHAT TO DO WITH THESE FABRICS????

Sew something, of course!!  My daughter's designs might be good framed?  When I make something with these fabrics I will link it up HERE.

Thanks for stopping by!  If you are looking for a way to follow Gina's Craft Corner you can do that....
Here for facebook
Here for Twitter
Here for Pinterest
Or click on the sidebar on the blue button to 'join this blog'
OR just leave a COMMENT below.  I love comments!

HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS, OR HAVE I JUST BEEN UNDER A ROCK??

Blessings,
~Gina

This project was featured here:
We Made That
A Peek Into My Paradise

craftionary

I am linked up at these great parties.  There are more link buttons at the bottom of the page.


Monday
An Original Bell 
I Should be Mopping the Floors
Alderberry Hill
That DIY party 
Mad in Crafts
Uncommon Designs 
Titi Crafty
Sew Chatty 
Keeping it Simple 
Sew Can Do 
Craft-O-Maniac 
Flour Me With Love 


Thursday
 My Fashion Forward Blog

Tuesday
Nap-time Creations 
Chef in Training 

Funky Polkadot Giraffe 
Sweet Tooth Tuesday 
Sugar Bee Crafts 
Adventures of a DIY Mom 
Nap-time Creations 
Our Delightful Home 
 Ladybug Blessings 
The Scoop 
Him and Her 
Lolly Jane 
A to Zebra Celebrations 
Brag About It 
Crafty Confessions 
 Hope Studios 
Today's Creative Blog 
6/18
We Made That


Wednesday
Adorned From Above

Thursday
A Peek Into My Paradise

Friday
Happy Hour Friday 
Frugal Fit Family 
My Turn For Us
Weekend Wonders 
Craftberry Bush 
All Our Days 
Redfly Creations
504 Main
Craftionary 
Chic on a Shoestring 
Simply Sweet Home
Diane Rambles
 Organized 31 

 Saturday
Serenity You 
Be Different..Act Normal 
Six Sister's Stuff







Comments

  1. This is so fun - I think I'm going to have to try it with my girls, too. I've had my eye on Alisa Burke's Sew Wild for a long time. You're so lucky that your library carries it; my library doesn't have anything fun like that! :)
    Thanks for stopping by. New follower.
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! We have an awesome library! I think I am going to have to buy the Sew Wild book, b/c I do not want to return it! She has a lot of 'suggested' books that she mentions at the end of the book for further study. I need to check those out.

      Delete
    2. Rebekah,
      I forgot to say, "Thanks for following!"
      ~Gina

      Delete
  2. That looks like fun!!! As does the wet-painting technique. I may have to try these. What's the worst that could happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Bethany. It IS fun! It also gives me something to do in the garage while the girls are playing. I've made a couple other pieces of fabric with the glue-resist. I'm working on doing something with the fabric and I'll post soon! Give it a try!!
      ~Gina

      Delete
  3. This looks like lots of fun and a great project to do with the kids! I have painted on fabric but never used glue....interesting!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Connie! Yes, it is SO much fun! I just can't get enough of it myself. I had to cut up some of the fabric yesterday to experiment with, and it was so hard! I love it just the way it is. :)

      Delete
  4. Great work, love it :D Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. these fabrics are something to write home about! I totally love them and will most definitely try this technique. Thanks you so much for sharing your experience and this idea.... :)
    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Would love to have you join the
    HCG drops giveaway right here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is super cool! My kids and I will totally try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malia, I hope you do! My kids loved it! Thanks so much for stopping by!
      ~Gina

      Delete
  7. This looks like a great way to make customized quilt blocks. I do wonder if the fabric gets stiff with the acrylic paint though. Anyone out there know how it affects the texture of the fabric? And the glue washed off really well? or do you recommend soaking it a while first? Overall.. this is a great idea for just about anyone! YAY! New summer craft inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the book I mentioned, Sew Wild, she had some pictures of quilts she had made with her fabrics. I had to return the book, so I cannot say that she used the acrylic painted fabric to make them. After you wash the fabric, I still might see some glue on 1 out of 3 that I put in the machine. I hand wash it some more. Soaking first might be a good idea. The hand of the fabric is also change and it is pretty stiff. You can use this technique with dyes, as well. Would they be as stiff? I'll have to try it.

      Thanks for writing, Barb! And for starting a discussion! Have fun creating. I'd love to see anything you come up with!
      ~Gina

      Delete
  8. Great idea! This would be super fun with kids. : ) I'm hosting a link party on my blog and I'd love for you to join! Simply Dream & Create
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie,
    Thanks for the invite! I always love a new party! Thanks for stopping by!
    ~Gina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these are so pretty! What a fun craft to do w/ my girls. Thanks! Can't wait to try this. stopping by from Diana's Pin Me party!

    Christine :)
    http://www.myepicureanadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Christine! Your girls will love it! I'd love to see what they create! :) I'm going to hop on over to your blog. :)
      Blessings,
      ~Gina

      Delete
  11. Gina,
    These are so cute. We would love to have you share this post at our Link party. The link is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/06/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop.html
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gals! I'd love to come to your party! :) See you there!
      ~Gina

      Delete
  12. Such a fun idea! I've been wanting to do a "glue designed" t-shirt with dye. Maybe I'll do it this summer. Love the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A T-Shirt would be a perfect place to do this! I'll have to try to do a set for my girls. I'm guessing, butterflies, flowers and rainbows will be involved. :) Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!
      Blessings,
      Gina

      Delete
  13. I really like this fun idea. My daughter would love getting creative in this way. She just loves anything to do with art. If we can turn it into something she can wear.........all the better. I think these would be quite adorable framed as well. Sport themes for older boys, animals for the younger set, and flowers and butterflies for the girls. Older kids could put their favorite bands on them too. Nice way to switch out artwork. You've got my brain thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment! Great ideas! Thanks for taking to to visit my site and leave a comment. :) I hope you visit again! I'll visit your site, as well.

      Have a great weekend!
      Gina

      Delete
  14. Wow they came out so cool! I can't wait to try it out :) Pinning too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really fun idea! I would make for great Christmas or Father's Day gifts if you let the kids design a kitchen (or BBQ)towel. Thanks for the inspiration. I think I will try it, come visit us and see the results soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea!! Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)
      ~Gina

      Delete
  16. Cool project and tutorial! I started following on FB and google +'d this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And thanks for following me! It's so nice of you to take the time to leave a comment. :)
      ~Gina

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely! I like that the only limit is my imagination. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting! I guess I've been under the rock because I've never heard of this! Lots of possibilities here, I love that you let your 6 year old do one!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Jenna!

      Delete
  20. You have been featured at Craftionary today.. :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cathy,
    Oh! I'm so happy! Thank you for featuring me! I WILL share on FB and twiiter!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is AMAZING!! I know that my kids will love doing this project! I do not know who will be antsier for it to dry....me or the kids! Thanks for sharing at the www.frugalfitfamily.com Friday Follow Along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Heather! It IS hard to let it dry. I know I was the one who could not wait! :)
      Gina

      Delete
  23. What a fabulous summer project! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! So nice of you to stop by and leave a comment! :)

      Delete
  24. I LOVE THIS!! I featured a link to this on my blog! Hope that's ok! The direct link it http://www.bitsquareblog.com/2013/06/favourite-diyrefashioning-discoveries.html if you wanted to see it. Absolutely can't wait to try this out myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's so nice of you! Thank you so much, Amelia!

      Delete
  25. Oh my, the wheels are turning! The design possibilities and colors are endless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Jennifer! I'm glad you liked it!
      Gina

      Delete

Post a Comment

I LOVE..LOVE...LOVE...comments from you! It truly makes my day! So, leave a comment AND your webpage or social media link and I will get back with you. Thanks in advance!!
~Gina

Popular Posts